Welcome to Not the Old and Mouldies with Shon on Mushroom FM.
Thursdays from 4AM US Eastern, 6PM in Queensland and 9PM in New Zealand
Curious huh? Why the strange name and who is this Shon Person? Read on to find out.
My name is Chantelle and I'm a proud Kiwi girl, born and bred in Auckland, New Zealand. A few years ago, I let my heart rule my head for once and Jumped The Ditch to Australia to be with my wonderful and very Australian partner Damian, a.k.a. Damo. Because of the unfortunate habit of native Australian speakers to totally mangle and mispronounce my name, I often shorten it to "Shon" to hopefully make things easier, and it's just stuck. I've thought about changing my name to Anne or Jane to fix the problem, but no-one else seems in favour. I think it's only fair that if I have to say "pool" with three syllables and talk about creekets chirping at night, the least they could do is learn to say Shon, right?
I love to cook, read and listen to music, and it was my interest in music that brought me to Mushroom FM. I cohost a weekly show with Damo here on Mushroom called Jump the Ditch and enjoy it so much, I thought I'd start my own show.
Not the Old and Mouldies, affectionately known as "Nom", was a name inspired by the concept of the Golden Oldies. Don't get me wrong, I love and admire many musicians from before my time, (like back in the early 80's,) and my personal taste includes bands like The Bee Gees, The Hollies and many others. But I thought it was about time to bring forward a show that explored some of the more modern music of today. You'll hear the best, and worst, music from the 80's, 90's, Naughties and Now with regular features such as:
- The Noxious: the most cheesy, nonsensical songs I can find that were either really awful or annoyingly catchy.
- Say What?: Have you ever heard a song on the radio where you were convinced the lyrics say one thing, only to be totally wrong when you looked them up? In this segment, you'll find songs that make you go, "what did they say?"
- Shon's Early Morning Jukebox: I wake up every morning with a different song in my head and have done for as long as I can remember. They don't often repeat and every day it's something new. Here, I'll play the song from that morning. Surely everyone experiences this, it can't be just me, can it?
- Blast from the Past: Where we delve into the dim and distant musical past with a song from before the 80's.
- Play It Strange: It might be a song, a story or none of the above, but it's a little unusual and certainly caught my attention this week.
The show can be heard every Thursday from 4AM US Eastern Time, 6PM in Australia and 9PM in New Zealand, here on Mushroom FM.
I love listener interaction and requests, and there are two main ways you can contact me before, during or after the show. Send a suggestion for the Noxious, put in a request or just say hi in one of the following ways:
Email me any time at Shon@mushroomFM.com
Join in the discussion and get show news by tweeting @ShonOnAir or by following me on Twitter.
Missed a Bit? Can't Tune In Live? Grab the Podcast.
If you can't listen to the show live, we offer a number of ways for you to listen to Mushroom FM shows. Either download them to your computer, listen to them online or Subscribe to the Mushroom FM podcast."
If you'd like to download the show directly or listen online, check out the latest Nomalicious episode below.