Jump the Ditch with Shon and Damo on Mushroom FM
Welcome to the home of Jump the Ditch with Shon and Damo - the Aussie, Kiwi combo.
Broadcast from the River City of Brisbane in Australia our show starts at 6pm AEST, 8pm in New Zealand, 9 Universal, 4am EST and 9am in the UK. Why don't you join us for three hours of fun and frivoloty to wind up your weekend, or for a lazy Sunday breakfast if you're not in our part of the world.
- Damo plays a unique mix of music from Australia, New Zealand and around the world. No matter the era or genre, there's something here for everybody. Send us your requests in an email, instant message or tweet and we'll do our best to play them on air for you.
- The Crazy Kiwi's Kitchen Capers cooking segment, featuring the dynamic duo. From tasty toasties to mouthwatering mushrooms. This segment is designed with the vision impaired in mind and will include tips and tricks to make your kitchen experience easier and more enjoyable. Whether you're a beginner just wanting to start out in the kitchen or an old hand with the ol' barbecue tongs, there's something for you in here. Get in touch with your recipes and hints and we'll endeavour to feature them here. How do you like your mushrooms?
- The Cover Drive where we find a cover version of a song, done in a totally different style by somebody you wouldn't expect. What will it be this week?
- Interesting news and trivia from Australia and New Zealand, a weekly round-up of articles and stories that took our interest.
- Novelty Song of the Week, providing a little something to make you laugh, cry or something you may not have heard before.
The Crazy Kiwi's Kitchen Capers for 29th January - Sugar Crash Chocolate Mud Cake.
If you'd like to share your recipes and cooking tips, and find out what recipes we've got coming up, why not subscribe to our Kitchen Capers email list by sending a blank email to
You can also download all our recipes in audio format from the Audio Archive link at the top of the page.
In this section, you will find the recipes featured on this week's edition, plus recipe notes, hints and an equipment list. Please send us your recipes, food trivia or cooking hints and we'll feature them here. If you would like a copy of any of our recipes, drop us an email and we'll be happy to send you one.
Sugar Crash Chocolate Mud Cake/H4>
Recipe by Adam Sutherland.
1 cup (125g) plain flour
1 cup (125g) self-raising flour
1/2 cup (60g) dark cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 1/2 cups (625g) sugar
450 g dark chocolate, chopped
450 g butter
3/4 cup (185ml) hot water
1/2 cup (125ml) buttermilk
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons instant espresso coffee granules or powder
1. Preheat the oven to warm 160ºC.
2. Brush a deep, 23cm round cake tin with melted butter or oil. Line the base and sides with baking paper extending at least 2cm above the rim.
3. Sift the flours, cocoa and soda in a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and make a well in the centre.
4. Place 250g each of the chocolate and butter in a medium pan. Add the water. Stir the mixture over low heat until the butter and chocolate dissolve.
5. Using a metal spoon, gradually stir the chocolate mixture into the dry ingredients.
6. Whisk together the buttermilk, oil, coffee and eggs in a large jug and add this to the cake mixture. Stir until the ingredients are well combined and the mixture is smooth.
7. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 1 hour and 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre. Leave the cake in the tin to cool completely before turning out.
8. Combine the remaining chocolate and butter in a small pan; stir over low heat until smooth. Cool to room temperature, stirring often, until the mixture is thick enough to spread. (You can hasten this process by refrigerating the mixture.)
9. Turn the cake upside down so that the uneven top becomes the base. Spread the icing completely over the cake. Set slightly before serving
The secret to a rich, moist, delicious mudcake is the ingredients. Use good quality dark chocolate and dark Dutch cocoa. Standard cocoa will suffice, but may result in a lighter coloured and slightly less rich cake.
Contacting Jump the Ditch
Listener participation is very important to us, and there are lots of ways to get in touch with us during and after the show.
- Follow us on Twitter, @shonanddamo and chat with us during the show.
- Send an email to email@example.com with requests or feedback.
- Message us during the show with Windows Live (MSN) Messenger on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or call us and leave a voice message or a request on our request line: U.S. 206 3509609
Missed a bit? Missed a show? Want Kitchen Capers Again? Download the podcast.
Can't listen to us live? No problem. We offer a number of ways for you to listen to archived shows. Either download them to your computer, listen to them online or subscribe to the Mushroom FM podcast. We even offer podcasts for each show.
For Jump the Ditch, just point your podcatcher at http://www.mushroomfm.com/JumpTheDitch/feed to subscribe.
Links that will enable you to download shows directly or listen online are below.